There are so many websites on the internet offering poker tips which do not improve your chances of making money from online poker. The five techniques discussed in this article are used by professional players and every player should have them in their arsenal.
How To Win Online Poker Consistently?
- 1. Start tightYou do not have any information on your opponents when you enter an online poker tournament. If you start the tournament slowly and play only premium hands, you will have time to judge which of your opponents are loose, tight, passive, or aggressive. Taking time to gain this information will help you later in the tournament to make decisions. As the blind levels start as just a small percentage of your stack, if you have a mediocre hand there is no point in risking your chips. If you seriously want to make money playing online poker and not just play as a pastime, taking notes about the different styles of play of your opponents is necessary.
- 2. Play at the right levelNever enter a poker tournament where the buy in is more than you can afford to lose. If you are scared of losing your money, your decision making will be hindered and the tournament you are playing in is too high staked for you.
- 3. Use all information availableAlthough when you are playing online it is not possible to see any physical signs, there are a number of signs to be seen online such as:
- • The speed with which your opponents act
- • The betting patterns of your opponents
- • What they talk about in the chat box
- • The cards that your opponents showdown with
- 4. Mid-game play: tight/aggressiveThis should be your main poker strategy. Playing tight poker means being very selective with your hand, raising only with Ace King or Queens, Kings, Aces, and with the smaller pocket pairs limping in. When you play aggressive poker, when you get involved in the hand you are determined to win the pot. You need to make a continuation bet even if you do not connect on the flop. Because you have been playing tightly, your opponents will give you a lot of credibility.
- 5. Know when to play looseIn online poker tournaments there is definitely a place for playing loose. It is recommended to start playing more hands as it nears the cut off for paid positions. If a tournament pays on the top ten places, and there are twenty players left, they start to fold more and more in the hope of making the money. This is when you should start stealing blinds; it is not advisable to play poker to make the money. A huge percentage of the overall prize pool is won by the top three players and that is where you should be aiming for.
To perfect these five techniques requires a lot of practice, but when you have mastered them you will be among the top players in the poker room.
Winning Poker Hands
No matter what the form of poker you are playing, it is very important that you correctly understand the rank of poker hands. When you have fully mastered the rank of these hands, you will be on your way to becoming a profitable poker player, whether you are playing in a casino, online, or even at home. The following winning poker hands given below are given in order from the highest to the lowest.
There is no stronger hand in poker than the royal flush. This consists of the Ace, King, Queen, Jack, and Ten all of the same suit. It is essentially a straight flush but with the highest cards.
A straight flush is a straight consisting of cards from the same suit. As shown above, the highest possible straight flush is the Royal Flush. The lowest possible straight flush is Ace, two, three, four, and five of the same suit.
Four of a kind
The next highest winning hand in poker is four of a kind. This can only be beaten by the two previous flushes described above. The highest four of a kind is four aces.
A full house consists of three cards the same and two cards also the same. For example, three Queens and two nines is a full house. If there are two hands with a full house, the one which has the highest value card making the three wins.
A flush is made up of five cards all of the same suit. If there are two players with a flush, the one with the highest card wins the pot. For example if one player has a flush with a highest card of King and the second has a highest card of Ace, the player with the ace wins no matter what the remaining cards are.
A straight is five cards in order, but not of the same suit, for example four, five, six, seven, and eight. In a straight the ace can be a high or low card.
Three of a kind (Trips)
Any three of the same card is called three of a kind, also known as trips. If two players have three eights but one of them has a King and the other has a ten, the player with the King wins.
Hands of two pairs are relatively low in poker and all of the above mentioned hands beat it. When two players have two pairs the same, the one with the highest unpaired card wins. In a game that uses community cards such as Texas Hold’em it is possible that the highest card is already on the board which will lead to a split pot.
Single pairs are almost the lowest possible winning hand. As with two pairs, if two players have the same pair, the one with the highest unpaired card will win.
High Card Only
In the unlikely event of a hand being played where no player has any of the above, the player with the highest card wins. If both players have an Ace, the next highest card is taken into consideration.